Have you ever eaten a pastry or muffin and felt just as hungry as you were before?
These Gluten-Free Morning Glory Muffins are quite the opposite. They’re both delicious and super satisfying due to the grain they’re made out of… teff!
Teff is a gluten-free, ancient grain originating from Africa. It’s high in fiber, protein, and minerals such as iron, manganese, and calcium, and gives foods a dark, slightly earthy flavor. You may have eaten it before as injera, the Ethiopian flatbread, but teff also works well in its whole grain form as a breakfast porridge or as a flour in baked goods!
Anyway, back to these muffins which, by the way, are extra delicious topped with nut butter and honey, or cream cheese or butter if you tolerate dairy. Enjoy a new way to breakfast!
Morning Glory Teff MuffinsPin Recipe
- 2 cups teff flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour also called tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom optional
- 3/4 cup orange juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup applesauce no sugar added
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup carrots grated
- 1 small tart apple diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, combine teff flour, tapioca flour, ground flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together orange juice, applesauce, honey, and oil.
- Add wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Add the dried cranberries, carrots, apple, and walnuts (if using) and fold into the batter until just combined.
- Spoon batter into muffin tin and bake for 25-30 minutes. When muffins are cool enough to handle, transfer them to a wire rack to cool.