Cold days continue, and sometimes the best way to pull you out of a cozy bed is the promise of a warming breakfast. Admittedly, I love my breakfast smoothies and continue these alongside a cup of hot tea even in cold months, but for mornings when I wake up feeling very chilled, I’m all about the quinoa porridge.
Back in Fall, I made Apple Pie and Pumpkin Spice flavored quinoa porridge because, well, ’twas the season. But this Peanut Butter Banana one is delicious and suited for any season. Since the porridge uses already cooked quinoa, it comes together super quickly if you’ve made a big batch of quinoa for the week and have some sitting around in your fridge.
Another reason I love quinoa porridge is because it gives me the same comforting, warm feeling as a big ‘ol bowl of oatmeal, without the oats! Gluten-free oats can be a wonderfully nutritious whole grain for GF folks to include in their diets, but I’m one of a small percentage of celiacs who cannot tolerate any oats. My intolerance is related to a protein called avenin, which is similar in structure to gluten and for some celiacs can cause glutened-like symptoms (it me!).
As for how to source truly GF oats… well, it’s a loaded topic! I cover it in full detail in my GF Jumpstart Program, but whether it’s with me or someone else, I highly recommend all celiacs become crystal clear on this one before including oats in their diets.
Here’s to warm breakfasts and hopefully warmer days ahead!
Peanut Butter Banana QuinoaPin Recipe
- 1/2 cup quinoa cooked
- 1/2 medium banana sliced
- 1/3 cup milk of choice dairy-free if needed
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter add more if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toppings of choice: maple syrup, chocolate chips, coconut flakes, nuts, hemp seeds, fruit, more nut butter, etc.
- To a saucepan over medium heat, add all ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover, stirring occasionally for 8-10 minutes, or until quinoa has broken apart and absorbed some of the liquid.
- Take off heat and serve with toppings of choice.