Do you like coleslaw but don’t feel super crazy about mayo or buttermilk? Or maybe you’re just looking for a slaw recipe that’s dairy-free and egg-free. If so, you’re in the right place!
The sauce for this slaw is made with cashew butter, which gives a mild sweetness and makes it creamy… without dairy! It also has a touch of red chili flakes that give a hint of heat, pairing perfectly with the other cooling and tangy flavors. This is a perfect side dish anytime but would be especially delicious for summer BBQs!
By the way, cabbage is an amazing food for the gut. That’s because it’s high in anti-inflammatory compounds as well as glutamine, which is very healing when the gut lining is damaged.
Cabbage is also an incredible source of fiber, which feeds your gut microbes. When your gut microbes are well-fed, they produce compounds that in turn benefit YOU. It’s a pretty cool system.
Bottom line: this recipe is sure to please both your taste buds and your gut!
Creamy Dairy-Free Cabbage SlawPin Recipe
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or tamari
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoons red chili flakes or a splash or two of your favorite hot sauce
- 1 small green cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot grated
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 3 green scallion tops minced
- In a bowl, add all sauce ingredients and stir until everything is creamy and well incorporated.
- To a separate, large bowl, add slaw ingredients along with the sauce. Using tongs, toss thoroughly until the slaw is well coated in sauce.
- Taste and add more salt and another tablespoon of vinegar, if desired.
- Serve, or pop in the refrigerator. The slaw is usually even tastier the next day as the sauce breaks down the cabbage and the flavors meld!