Don’t get me wrong, I love pumpkin pie. But sometimes I want something a little different. These bars have a similar pumpkin pie “feel” but jazz it up with notes of coconut and lime. They are also a completely dairy-free, refined sugar-free and gluten-free dessert, something that can be difficult to find at many holiday gatherings. Enjoy this wholesome treat!
P.S. The crust here has a nice sugar cookie flavor, so I am sure it would be good used in similar recipes with different fillings. Let me know what you create!
Sweet Potato Lime Bars
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup finely shredded coconut flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups sweet potatoes cooked and cooled
- 1/3 cup canned, full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons rum
- Zest of 1-2 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, add in all crust ingredients and mix until a crumbly dough starts to form.
- Press the dough into the pan, using your hands or a spatula to make it even and flat. Bake for 15 min, then remove and set aside to cool.
- To make the filling, put all filling ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour filling on top of crust and use a spatula to smooth out the top. Bake for 45-50 min until the top is set and no longer jiggles.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 30 min before cutting into squares. At this point, you can top with a light dusting of powdered coconut sugar or toasted coconut chips (my favorite).
- Cover and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.