2021 here we come! May this year be the light at the end of that bizarre and often dark 2020 tunnel. A friend recently sent me this, and I thought it was fitting in terms of what we can hope for this coming year:
Anywho, what better way to say good-bye to 2020 and ring in the New Year than with a slightly boozy, gluten-free, sweet treat!
I’ll be honest, these have little resemblance to traditional rum balls. But they’re still fun and delicious! They have a rich mouthfeel, which is created by processing coconut until it starts to release its oils. Then, more shredded coconut is added in at the very end to make the texture more interesting.
Finally, the chocolate drizzle is optional, but very recommended, because chocolate. Also they look fancier that way 🙂
And speaking of the New Year, one last reminder that I’ll be honoring special holiday pricing on my GF Jumpstart Program until the end of December! If you’re newer to celiac or gluten-sensitivity, let’s hop on a FREE 20-minute call to see if this is a good fit for you!
Coconut Rum BallsPin Recipe
Coconut Rum Balls
- 2 cups shredded coconut unsweetened
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup*
- 1-2 tablespoons unflavored rum start with 1 tablespoon
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut unsweetened
Optional Chocolate Drizzle
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips GF and DF
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- In a food processor, add 2 cups of shredded coconut. Process,occasionally scraping down the sides with a spatula, until coconut starts to release oils and lightly clump together.
- Add in almond flour, maple, salt, and rum (start with 1 tablespoon). Blend until mixture becomes dough-like in texture (this will go quickly compared to the first step).
- Taste and add more rum, if desired.
- Add in ¼ cup shredded coconut and pulse briefly, just until combined.
- Take about 1 tablespoon of dough at a time and roll into balls. Place on a parchment lined plate or pan. At this point, you can choose to roll them in more coconut, or put them in the fridge for 1-2 hours to harden up before drizzling with chocolate.
To Drizzle with Chocolate:
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil in a double boiler or in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the chocolate over each ball, or cover them completely if you love chocolate. Return to the fridge for 5-10 minutes,then serve!
- Keep leftovers in fridge or freezer.